Friday, September 2, 2011

Outfit of the Night: Little Black Dress Part II

After my last post on little black dresses, I thought I should share two little outfits on myself. My roommate and I were playing dress up randomly when I styled these outfits. (I LOVE my roommate!) We like playing dress up evenwhen we're not going anywhere... it keeps us prepared for those spontaneous events that seem to always come up.


The First Look: I chose this floral print black dress because of it's burst of color and bustier style. Bustier styles often give you more of an hourglass shape, which is why they are a favorite of mine. The belt boasts a bow detail in the center that maintains the girly, flirty vibe of my dress. Black pumps with a delicate round toe add to the soft feminine charm. My bangles attempt to complete the look, but the more bangles the better!










Here is a close up of the bustier style and the belt.
Dress from Forever 21
Belt from Love Culture. It came with a different dress.

The Second Look: Going in the opposite direction, I created a solid black outfit with only one pop of color. This stays truer to the "little black dress tradition," but it still has its own quirks. Every look deserves to have an element of originality.
Tank: Forever 21, Belt: Forever 21
Shirt and Bangles: Charlotte Russe, Shoes: H&M

The Second Look: A form-fitting black v-neck tank meets my attention-grabbing, waist-clinching teal belt, and an '80s inspired black mini skirt. It's the skirts two tiers of ruffles that make it special. The ruffles give me the extra hips that I don't have while hugging my thighs. My outfit goes from tight, to poofy, to tight again, preventing me from looking too much like a little girl in a fluffy ballet tutu. (Even though I love tutus.)

Style Lesson of the Day: Proportions and balance are important. When the bustier style dress accentuated my top half, I didn't do anything extra to draw attention to my hips. When the skirt emphasized my hips, I wore a plain top for balance. Most importantly, I always defined my waist to maintain a womanly figure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment